Grow a Rainbow
Want to grow your own rainbow? Try this simple science experiment. You only need paper towel, water, cups and washable markers. Your child will love to see their rainbows grow in this simple activity.
1. Fold over a piece of paper towel (so you have 2 pieces on top of eachother). Trim the lengths to 7.5 inches (any longer and the rainbow may not connect fully)
TIP – the shorter your piece of paper towel, the better it will connect. Also, make sure you are using absorbent paper towels.
2. Draw rectangles of the rainbow colours at each end. You want to make sure to fill these colours in well so there is enough dye to travel across the paper towel.
TIP – add lots of market to the ends, you want a good amount of dye to travel up the paper towel.
3. Place 2 cups of water filled 3/4 full. You only want the bottom of the paper towel in so leave some space from the top of the cup. Then, place the paper towel into the cups with one end in each cup.
TIP – do not place the ends in too deep in the water or the dye may dissolve into the water instead of moving up the paper towel.
4. The washable marker dye will slowly make its way up with the water to meet the other side in the centre of the paper towel.
5. Leave paper towel for 10-15 minutes and it will eventually connect the colours together